We had plans to leave Carriacou at a decent hour, but were forced to depart a bit early.  At about 0600 (06:00 AM) we were visited by some of the crew of a tanker that was on it’s way in and we were too close to where he was planning on mooring.  I wish I had taken some pictures, but these guys wanted us to move pronto, so no time for photos.  I really didn’t see the need for us to move based on where they were going, especially since we were actually anchored only about 10 feet closer to the tankers’ destination relative to the boats in front and behind us, but I wasn’t going to argue.  We pulled anchor, headed out to the open area of the bay, and drifted for a bit while we got organized to go for a sail south to Dragon Bay on the southwest side of Grenada.

We had a nice south easterly breeze and started out sailing pleasantly for our 30 nautical mile hop down to Dragon Bay.

The RK is on the move earlier than anticipated

Try to relax Admiral!

As we approached the south end of the main island, the winds completely died and we had to motor sail.

What are you looking at?

Oh, the coastline directly east of us

…and a little south-east of us

We arrived in Dragon Bay, grabbed a mooring ball, and I headed into the water as fast as I could after securing the boat.  With little to no breeze, I was hot and sweaty.

Dragon Bay

Anna Marie, Dan, and Jason hopped in the dinghy to head around the point to do some snorkeling of the underwater statues.  I was content hanging home after a good swim to tidy things up on the boat and get my bearings in our new, temporary home.

Construction of the Underwater Sculpture Park began in 2006 and was created by British sculptor Jason deCaires Taylor.  You can read more about it and view many more photos here.

We need to replace our underwater camera, so I borrowed this off the internet

This one also

After the crew returned, I jumped in the dinghy and headed to shore to find the restaurant we read about in the guide book.  Just inland of the beach was the restaurant.  I can’t remember the name of the place, but the food was good and the prices were reasonable.  I got their phone number and promised to call with our arrival time and order when I got back to the boat so they could guarantee they would have what we wanted.  If it was seafood, their fisherman had to head out to catch our dinner.  They also told me we were in luck.  That night was a dress rehearsal for the upcoming carnival events.  There would be live entertainment of some of the local performers practicing the routines/songs they were preparing for carnival.

We had a great dinner, did some dancing, and dinghied back to the boat to try and sleep.  The LOUD music continued until about 0200 (02:00 AM).

Blue, but not feeling blue

We can still do this!

I’m having fun…

The following morning, after Anna Marie and I had a wonderful snorkel and swim, we motored around the corner to Grand Mal Bay.  I think it took about 15 minutes.  We dropped anchor, dove it, and headed in to shore to find a place for lunch.  The winds were still calm (no pun intended) so it was hot – especially on land.

We were looking for a particular restaurant that was mentioned in the guidebook, but we couldn’t find it.  We think we found the building that used to be the restaurant, but it was boarded up so we kept walking.

I’m hot and I’m hungry…

After a while, we passed what looked like a house.  Someone on the porch yelled out to us to come on over.  It looked like a family gathering although they had an elaborate cooking station set up under the tent.  Our haler invited us to stay for lunch and drinks.  He explained that this is what they do on the weekends – they BBQ for family and friends and they sell food to JQP (John-Q-Public).  That’s us, so we sat down at a table and waited for our chicken and chips lunch.  It was delicious and the price was about $3.00 US per person.

Food is coming and we are in the shade

After lunch, Jason decided to mingle with the locals

We headed back to what seemed like a cool boat.  The boys did some snorkeling and some fishing (unsuccessfully), and we enjoyed another beautiful sunset before dinner.

Jason and Daniel snorkeling (L-R)

Jason trying to catch dinner

Our end of the day ritual

Another beautiful sunset

The following morning, we weighed anchor, and motored out to deep water to empty our holding tanks.

On a boat, our human waste is stored in small holding tanks connected to each head.  We have the valves on these tanks closed when near land.  You are allowed to release waste three miles out in open ocean or have them pumped out, when in a marina.  As most marinas in the Caribbean don’t have pump out facilities,  we needed to empty our tanks before heading into Port Louis Marina.

When we got far enough off shore, we opened the valves and released our waste.  We then made a 180, and headed into the marina.  We got settled in, took a short walk around, and then dinghied over to the yacht club across the harbor to have lunch.

Small market in the Port Louis Marina

Our friends on Lovely Cruise from North Carolina are here

View of the marina from the yacht club across the way

The next couple days were spent getting the boat ship shape.  We cleaned, we polished, we organized, and then we packed.

One night, we did get out with a group of cruisers to the local brewery.  On this particular evening, there was live music scheduled.  The music was to be played by talented cruisers from the local marinas and anchorages.  The place was really cool and they had awesome beer.

She looks happy as does the barmaid in the background.  Not sure about the bartender…

Local cruisers jammin’

Our friends from North Carolina had arrived a few weeks before us, and told us about an Island Tour they had taken with a local tour guide.  We made arrangements for him to pick us up at the marina our last day and give us an abbreviated version of the tour before taking us to the airport.

Cutty arrived on time, but we were not quite ready.  Even though Anna Marie and I started at 0600 doing the last few chores like flushing all the systems with fresh water, turning off all the power, locking hatches and lockers, we were a little behind schedule.

Nevertheless, we got going.

The waterfalls

This gentleman sang Anna Marie and I a song and then insisted I give him enough money for lunch. I couldn’t say no (I think there is something in this pocket).  It was the first time we felt pressured since being in Grenada, but also the first time in a tourist area.

Next stop was the chocolate factory.  This place was really cool, and has a very interesting history that you can read about on their website.

The process flow chart

It starts here sorting the good beans from the bad ones

I’m fairly certain this is the roaster

I am pretty sure this is the grinder. You tend to forget quickly afterwards…. At least I do.

This is most certainly the press

I believe this is the liquid end product

This is us tasting some of the chocolate – delicious

From here we moved on to the rum distillery.  The River Antoine Rum Distillery began making rum in 1785 and when they say they make it the same way today as they did in 1785, they mean it.  They even move the pre-distilled product from one vat to the next with a hand carved wooden bowl attached to a wooden stick.  Old school on steroids!

The still – hand fired with the used sugar cane husks

Another view…

This tour was really cool.  Afterwards, we went for a tasting.

Here we go

Okay, I’ll give it a try

Now we were off to the Grand Etang Forest Reserve.

Great photo opp on the way

Self explanatory

Cutty called the monkeys when we arrived, and they obliged.

This is a little strange

We went back to the marina to pick up our laundry and put it back on the boat.  When we arrived, we were most surprised to see our friends from Cream Puff docked right next to us.  We knew they were coming, but we thought it would take them a few more days to arrive.


From there we headed to the airport for our departure back home.

One last party at the airport. We shall return…


6 responses to “Grenada”

  1. Hello to the complete Crew from Germany!

    Many thanks for that wondeful Blog and the pictures.I think You will Never leave the chokolade Factory.From the Cat “Dreamcatcher ” i have Some Bad News: they had a Flash
    Impact,the Loose the total Electric equipment(100000$),and now the Cat is moored
    In Fort Lauderdale in a Lagoon shipyard,waiting nearly helpless for Irma……
    I Hope you stay qite in the South!
    I am busty with many kidney Stones in the Hospital .Drink much Beer to Prävention Stones!
    Stay healthy an fair Winds

    Sincerly Michael

    • So sorry to hear you are having kidney stone problems. Hopefully they will be resolved quickly. Bad news about “Dreamcatcher”. I hope she fared well in the storm. Say hello to your wife and thanks for staying in touch.

    • Bob. We are glad you are enjoying the blog. Anna Marie and I really enjoy the entertainment writing it provides. Our best to you and Lois.

  2. Thanks for the shout out Paul. When are you guys heading back? We hope to return in a couple of weeks.

    • Hey Fletcher,

      I have been meaning to write you, but never got around to it. We have been pretty busy. Just landed back today. Ward’s ukulele is safe and sound. Hope all of you are enjoying your trip.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.